[Dailydrool] the intellegence of authors

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Mon Aug 10 07:12:10 PDT 2009

A momperson quote:  "PS One of the problems with standard IQ tests for people is that the more
world experience you have the higher you may score. You may have an IQ well
into the triple digits but if you have never been outside the cave you are
not going to score as well as a college graduate, are you? So, the more
training you have, the better you score. Ditto for dogs."

I couldn't agree more.  When we had our litters of Dachshund babies we tried to make early life interesting and challenging for them from their first steps.
Little tunnels, little ramps, pillows to climb.  they learned to think and problem solve.   They were also exposed to different surfaces under their feet and
different bowls such as plastic, ceramic, metal to eat out of.  Lots of different noises and of course people.

And don't get on Stanley Cohen's case too much.  We attended one of his seminars on how dogs think and Mr. Cohen was very interesting and amusing.
He has a great love for  dogs and even has a hound himself.   His talk on how dogs process information via eyes and ears was illuminating.

As someone else mentioned most intelligence tests are designed around a dog's willingness to do what the human wants him to do.   Our hounds were bred for
independent thinking on the hunt.    Bassets, Dachshunds, Beagles etc etc all know they know best.  They know we don't hear, smell  or even see as well as they do.
the very fact that they put up with us at all is a testament to their great working intelligence.

But, for pet owners who want a dog that will sit, beg, rollover, fetch and do all the other "good" dog things, a Stanley Cohen intelligence list is a valuable tool to have when looking
for that perfect fit.

Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com
www.bassethoundclubofwpa.com