[Dailydrool] Dog Intelligence

clara at spiritone.com clara at spiritone.com
Mon Aug 10 08:18:30 PDT 2009

In the  80's,  Howard Gardner came up with a theory of Multiple Intelligences because traditional notions of intelligence, based on I.Q. testing, were too limited. He came up with a list of ways people can be intelligent and his theories were taken into classrooms to help teachers draw on their students' strengths. Here is his list:

Linguistic intelligence ("word smart"):
Logical-mathematical intelligence ("number/reasoning smart")
Spatial intelligence ("picture smart")
Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence ("body smart")
Musical intelligence ("music smart")
Interpersonal intelligence ("people smart")
Intrapersonal intelligence ("self smart")
Naturalist intelligence ("nature smart")

Clearly the people who did the dog intelligence test are not looking at the multiple ways dogs can be smart. I'm sure we'd all agree that Bassets are very good problem solvers when something edible is out of reach or hidden.

My Fiona has spatial intelligence. She knows that if she lays in the middle of the bed, there is less room for others.  Louie knows that where there is one treat, there is surely to be another. That's logical mathematical intelligence.  heck, they are smart in ways Howard gardner never even imagined.

Give me a basset over any of those high scoring dogs any day!

Adrienne