[Dailydrool] Bonding with puppies

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 11 09:25:20 PDT 2009

When we got our Sherlock, many years ago, we got him partly to keep Sassy company.  Sassy was 12 and had just lost her sister.  We didn't want her to be lonely.  She hated Sherlock.  Not to the point of violence but she couldn't stand for him to be within 5 feet of her.  We shouldn't have expected her to want a new friend.  Maybe if he hadn't been a puppy she would have tolerated him better.  Sherlock loved everything about Sass.  He wanted her to be his new mommy.  Sass only lived 3 months after we got Sherl.  She was just too old and tired to deal with things.  The one time Sherlock managed to get close to her, she was asleep.  She was on the couch on her stomach so he very quietly climbed up on top of her and went to sleep on his back on her back.  They were backbone to backbone.  She let him stay.   I don't think we took a picture.  Sometimes dogs don't get along.

We got Sunny to keep Sherlock company, thinking he was lonely after Sassy died.  Well, Sunny didn't like Sherlock or anyone else.  For 11 years we put up with the two of them glaring and growling.  Sherlock just gave her a wide berth.  I think she worried him into an early grave.  Poor guy was almost completely white at the end.  Not Miss Priss.  She was still kicking and biting and only partially gray when she left us.

I would be hesitant to bring a puppy in her with these girls.  It would be overwhelming.  I would try to make sure that the one or ones who were there first know that they are still loved.

Drool from the Southern Illinois girls who want everyone to leave their house alone so they can nap.  The guys are working on the furnace/airconditioning and it is driving the girls demented or at least me.  They barked for 3 hours this morning.  I can't wait for the afternoon.