[Dailydrool] Drool for Alex Baldwin Please

Joni Thomas fredehound at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 18:07:11 PDT 2009

Please send Drool for my foster Alex Baldwin.  Alex has a story that many rescues are seeing right now, he was a victim of the economy his Mom lost her job and then her house and with no money and no where to go he ended up in rescue. He has turned out to be so special to us that this is a hard story to tell with out flooding my keyboard with tears. This is what I posted on his Dogster page in July:

"Alex is a "foster in waiting" at our house. He is with us until he is can to return to his Mom, who isn't able to care for him right now. Alex was originally to come into rescue to be put up for adoption but when we found out how much he was loved and how much he loves his Mom I decided I would keep him until she can take him back. We are in touch all the time and she knows he has a home here until he can return to her where he belongs. Some stories just touch your heart and you have to reach out and help knowing that it was meant to be that he go back with his Mom who loves him so much. Meanwhile he will live here and be loved as part of our pack. He is a great guy who makes us laugh all the time."

About two weeks ago Alex who is 11 1/2 yrs started limping, I thought it was a cyst between his toes and took him to the Vet. It urns out that Alex has Osteosarcoma in his shoulder, right now it is isolated and has not spread but I knew he had to move out of my house with stairs to a safer place for him. I had promised him he could stay with me until his Mom could take him back and I felt like I was letting him down in some way by having to move him to another house, just another thing to add to his year of turmoil when he had just gotten used to being part of a pack after almost 12 yrs as an only dog. But it wasn't about me, it was about his safety so off to Auntie Alexa's house he went. He has stayed there when we are out of town so it was a familiar place but not home. I took his bed and favorite toys and he is settling in OK. He has since seen a wonderful Holistic Vet and we are giving him a few things (remedy's as they call them) that hopefully will keep him around for a bit longer. I have seen it work before on other houndies we have had in rescue, it certainly won't cure him but if he is comfortable and happy that is all that matters.
Then I had to do the hardest thing, I had to tell his Mom about this cancer and prognosis (my Vet said 3 weeks to 3 months). I knew the hope of getting him back was what was keeping her going and that things had just started to turn around for her. I wasn't sure if I could do it with our breaking down but we got through it with many tears. She is coming to see him this Sat and we will meet face to face for the first time at Alexa's this weekend, I am sure it will be a two Kleenex box event, with a lot of happiness and sadness too. Happiness for the fact that she gets to see the boy she loves so much but the sadness is that it could be the last time she sees him as she is staying with relatives quite a distance from us. Please send some drool our way for a great Saturday where the happiness far out weighs the sadness and healing drool for Mr. Alex Baldwin that he hangs around for many months to come defeating the odds that are staring at us.
He has done a great job a stealing Auntie Alexa's heart in just the short time he has been there, he will be spoiled and indulged in his every wish, plus good treats, great home made food  and a big comfy bed to sleep on. I live close so can visit every day to make sure he is up on his quota of daily snooter kisses and treats.
We will keep you updated. Thank You Drool family for always being there when you are needed the most.

Joni Thomas

The Terrific Thomas Hounds

Fred  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/739990

Earl   http://www.dogster.com/dogs/739999