[Dailydrool] different breeds

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:07:45 PDT 2009

I have always had Bassets but I also have Belgian Sheepdogs which seem, at
first glance, to be the antithesis of Bassets. This is not true. Every
Basset has been exercised with  the Belgians, and they have all kept up. I
have almost no problem with flat-bassetdom on walks and when I am teaching
Basset puppies (or any puppy) to walk on a leash for walkies, they are NOT
ALLOWED to stop at every tree and bush and snuffle every single thing. I
allow them plenty of time to pee and sniff in the first block or two, but
beyond that I give a command "let's go" or "That's enough" or even "Hup
Pup!" (that is mostly to hurry them up crossing a street) and they do. They
come right along. Mitchell (ATB) and my Belgian used to easily do a 4 mile
loop through the forest preserve a couple of times a week until the skels
with drugs and fighting pits began hanging out in the woods. We don't go
there anymore, what a shame.
Bassets exercise if given the chance. At least that's my experience.
It would do ME a world of good to start that up again in the different
place.

Fat Ole MomPerson who should be out walkin