[Dailydrool] Glaucoma Woes

Sally K. Russell sally at slokr.com
Thu Aug 13 15:38:49 PDT 2009

Our Browser, age 5, has been blind in his left eye for one year since the diagnosis of this horrible disease.  He comes from a breeder who has all the angles checked on her bassets' eyes but has always been told this is no guarantee as there could be a recessive gene hiding somewhere.  Well it was in our Browser who is the first and only basset of hers since 1986 to have this problem.

His right eye was doing great with diligent care from our wonderful opthamologist vet and a strict eyedrop regimen.  Well, last night we noticed he was having difficulty finding his way around the house and his pupil was enlarged in his good eye and we hightailed it to the vet.  After six hours of intensive IV of mannitol and cosopt every 5 minutes the pupil became small and the pressures dropped but as of now, he is sightless.  Our vet will check his retina and optic nerve tomorrow but this may be the way he stays or she said he may have retained some vision although she warned us it will not be long lasting.

We are so saddened and frustrated and yet we know how many basset lovers have gone down this road.  Would love to hear from anyone who has a blind basset and how they managed particularly in the beginning.

Browser seems happy to be home and is wandering around our house as if he's constructing a map in his head.  His Mommy and Daddy are so very upset but do not show this around him as I know we must not treat him as an invalid.

Needing lots of drool and good advice...

Sally and Bert, Pixel and Browser