[Dailydrool] multiple breed in same household

Kathy Agel kathy.agel at verizon.net
Sun Aug 16 15:58:32 PDT 2009

>a number of people have mentioned that they have other breeds of
>dogs in their homes in addition to bassets.  the most recent example
>i noticed was the poster with a basset and a
>bloodhound.  Bloodhounds need a LOT of exercise as do many other dog breeds.
>
>now bassets are a great breed but they do have their
>weaknesses.  They do have this tremendous aversion to exercise(now
>I'm exaggerating, of course!)
>
>How do people manage the varying exercise requirements of their
>different dogs?

We have two Bassets (Molly and Emily) and two Jack Russells (Tucker
and Katie). We let everyone out into the fenced back yard and let
them run around together. Molly (age 11) is at the point where she's
content to watch the younger ones play -- and Tucker (age 10) is
getting to that point. Emily (age 7) and Katie (4-1/2) have a grand
old time chasing each other around the yard, over the patio, through
and around the rose beds, then up, over, and under the chaise (which
is usually Molly's territory, though she's not at all averse to
sharing). Emmy has no problems keeping up with Katie -- but she's
always been fast and lithe for a Basset. When they're done, they jump
up on the chaise to keep Molly company.