[Dailydrool] All is fine in Delaware for once

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Sun Aug 16 19:01:42 PDT 2009

I have to say that my negligence at keeping up the the DD this summer
has bordered on blasphemous.  Fortunately it has all be work related
and not health related--YIPPEE!  So for all those in need of drool: a
nickzillion buckets of it are on the way from us to you.  So many have
poured their hearts and souls into drool production, prayer production
and just simple good thoughts for Buford over the last 4 months
(heck--10 years!) that I owe the DD world AT LEAST that in return.
For all those who've lost their babies to the Bridge my heart aches
for you.  Oh how they take a part of us with them when they go--THAT
is fact.  Godspeed all of you on your journey and look after those
you've left behind after you've dined at the buffet!

If there are newcomers out there: welcome!  Here you will find advice,
strength and lots of great stories!

Delaware Update:  Della-Ware is just fine. My little tank of a girl is
5 years old (when did THAT happen?!) and has started to show just a
touch of gray on the very top of her nose.  It's striking because
she's 90% solid black!  (basset markings are white paws and tipped
tail and her belly is all basset patches of white, brown and black.)

Buford:  I tempt fate by writing anything but so many were so
thoughtful during the terrible spring we had that it's the least I can
do.  I think he may be happy/healthy for the first time in his 10.5
years!  He's still a basset but he acts like a DOG now!  The surgery
was a success and all was narrowed down to Irritable Bowel Disease.
He's on metronidazole and Prilosec for the heartburn (his esophagus is
scarred from top to bottom after YEARS of acid reflux).  He has
finally started to gain a little weight because....I can't believe I'm
writing this...he's eating DRY FOOD for the first time since he was 3
years old!!!  (I took him off it to get him to LOSE weight and never
put him back on it because when I tried he would bloat.)  He has not
had a single bloat episode, nor is he gassy any longer.  He eats Hills
Prescription D/D dried (venison and potatoes) because we're convinced
he's got some kind of major food allergy.  Since the switch over on
the food ALL SYMPTOMS GONE!

Of course, now that his digestive tract is figured out, his Cushings
is out of whack.  I'll take him in for ACTH stimulus test next week
and we'll adjust his meds.  His internist is convinced that the meds
are not staying in his system long enough now because, well, nothing
stays in his system all that long any more!  His bowels are finally
working right!  So we'll get the dose ironed out and hopefully see
improvement on that situation soon too.  (He's fine---his water in/out
is crazy again that's all.)

Snooters to everyone,

---heidi, buford, della and guinness the cat (HEY! I'm fine too!)