[Dailydrool] Hygroma care, Basset Fest, special auction item

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Mon Aug 17 11:42:44 PDT 2009

Our dear Mr. Sid who is 14 or more years old has developed a chronic hygroma
(swelling) on one of his hocks.  The first time it was very acute and
painful.  It swelled up over night and he did not want to put weight on it.
It responded well to antibiotics, pain meds and rimadyl.  We also pad around
and try to get him to lay one of the many dog beds around the house.  Looks
like it is back, though not as big and tender this time.  I would appreciate
any ideas anyone has to help minimize this problem.  I think his skin and
joints are just getting so sensitive due to his age and his preference for
sleeping on the hard floor INSTEAD of the available cushy surfaces around
the house. I even bough him a special, water filled cooling bed to sleep on
but he still seems to prefer the hard floor.  My dear sweet stubborn old
guy...

Basset Fest is starts this Saturday!  There will be a "sneak peek" Friday
night with a get acquainted evening gathering.  See the website for more
info.  Join us in Muskego, WI August 21-22-23.  I am going to put a special
plug in for a one of kind item currently being built in our basement by the
DH.  It is a custom designed basset hound bench, made of cedar in the
Adirondack style with striped cushions of course!  Just what every basset
needs for lounging on the patio or under a tree.  You must be present to bid
on this item so if you can't go to Basset Fest, get one of your friends that
is going to bid on it.  I hope to send a link to a picture of it in the next
few days.  The poor DH is still slaving away on it!

Please stomp for good weather for us.  We have 92 dogs in our care PLUS a
waiting list!

Lisa and the MN Woofers

Ella Marie, Hank and the sweet Mr. Sid

www.bbrescue.org <http://www.bbrescue.org/>