[Dailydrool] Rocky's new "sister"

Racetrcker at aol.com Racetrcker at aol.com
Mon Aug 17 15:49:27 PDT 2009

Hi everyone - you probably remember that our Lexie went to the bridge a
couple of months ago.  Rocky, her brother, was so lonesome and missed her  so
much.   He had never been alone in his life before since he was one  of a
littler of twelve, had been in foster homes with other bassets and  spent a
lot of time with lots of people and bassets before we got them, and  then had
Lexie with him when we had to be gone.   After about a month,  we decided to
start looking for a friend for him.  Finally we found what  looked to be
the perfect girl at BHRSC's website.  She is four years old  and named Maddie.
 She was at the hospital after being spayed and having a  bad reaction to
some antibiotics but about 11 days ago I got to bring Rocky to  meet her and
when they seemed ok with each other, we brought her home.  The  first few
days they pretty much ignored each other with the occasional look or  sniff
but he did teach her to use the doggie door.  Then they started  hanging in
the same room and even napping close together.  About three days  ago, they
started playing, chasing around and face-fighting and now are the best  of
friends.  She is a wonderful girl and we are so happy to have  her.

At first she didn't want to eat at all.  After a few days I guess she  was
pretty hungry because she started eating a little if I hand fed  her.
After a few days of this, I put her dish on the floor and she  just gobbled all
her food.  Now she is eating her meals fine.  I am  feeding them in separate
rooms so far because Rocky is such a fast eater - he is  like a vacuum
cleaner inhaling his meals.  She is much slower and takes her  time to eat but
does finish her meals.  I am hoping that someday they can  eat in the same
room with each other.

We still miss Lexie a lot but are glad to have a new member of the  family.

Carol