[Dailydrool] Debarking

JACQIE MARVICH oakrydgebh7 at msn.com
Mon Aug 17 17:15:04 PDT 2009

I have never been a big fan of debarking though I understand that sometimes there is no other choice. I have considered it of late for a couple of male bassets that I have that literally scream at the least little thing that moves. Their bark is so loud I have to plug my ears till they stop. One in particular won't stop once he starts so I crate him at the time of day he seems to want to be most vocal. It's ridiculous how loud and non-stop he can bark and he's done it ever since he was just a baby. The rest of my dogs have figured out that he's barking at nothing and they just ignore him most of the time. A shock collar didn't phase him a bit. He barked anyway and even harder. It's very frustrating and annoying and he's my dog. Luckily, my neighbors haven't complained but that's only because they have issues of their own that they don't want brought to light as far as the local sheriffs department is concerned. We are put in the coutry and there are dogs barking all over at night and a lot of them are running loose too. My brother has decided he wants to adopt this dog. I told not to buy a house close in town or in a subdivision. He doesn't want to live close to anyone anyway but he does want a dog that will let him know when someone or something comes around. I told him this dog will certainly do that. No problem.

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets