[Dailydrool] August 19th Calendar Girl

Ellen R Cole ellen at carlson4travel.com
Tue Aug 18 18:14:10 PDT 2009

If you're reading on Tuesday evening...no peeking!!! If you're reading this on Wednesday...you may have already had the extreme pleasure of flipping your calendar page to find....drumroll please...

Miss Gracie Lou FlatBasset

Three years ago, Gracie Lou was rescued from a puppy mill raid near Binghamton, NY. The local Humane Society went in and got as many of the sickest dogs as they could. They cleaned a pen...gave the rest (11?...someone may remember better than I), food and water and left with the plan to return as quickly as possible. In the interim, the owner came back and opened the pen and let the dogs run. When the rescuers returned, they found an empty pen. I think all but two were eventually retrieved. ABC Basset Hound Rescue was contacted. Gracie Lou and another female who is likely Gracie's sister/mother/daughter...they look very much alike...were placed in foster care together. There they gradually learned to trust their foster mother.

We knew when we adopted Gracie that she needed work. She spent nearly all of the first couple of months we had her in the back corner of her crate. We never saw her sleep...she was always on alert when we were around. She ultimately decided she liked me and our nephew Chris (who lives with us). He left for college only about a week after her arrival...so we were surprised at that. She tolerates "Daddy". He's okay when he's in slippers. He even gets to pet her then. He's also acceptable when he's providing the food bowls. He's very scary when he's dressed for work. She's still not crazy about other people...but has coped very well at the two waddles we've attended. I think she feels like there's safety in numbers and she's okay when surrounded by other bassets. The calendar photo was taken by Angelika when she visited our home while picking up her daughter from College. It's all the more special because Gracie was that relaxed with this stranger in her midst. This year, our gift from Gracie was that she's ALLOWING Chris & I to rub her belly.

Gracie Lou rules the pack here. She'll tolerate inappropriate behavior (e.g. being nearby while Gracie is eating) from Magnolia. Even though Oliver is MUCH larger than she...he knows better than to try it. He attempted to be the alpha when he arrived and Gracie advised him (in no uncertain terms) to think again.

Happy 3rd Gotcha Day Gracie Lou Flatbasset.

Ellen & Miss Magnolia & Gracie Lou FlatBasset & Oliver & Abigail (ATB)