[Dailydrool] chewing puppy -- any insights?

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 20:10:44 PDT 2009

None of my girls were ever chewers.  (Why spend all that energy if  food
isn't involved?)  So I don't have any ideas for my friend, and we'd be
grateful for any insights.

My friend's nine month old puppy is adorable.  And chews  constantly.
Constantly.  He's not a malicious or destructive chewer  (no shoes, pocketbooks,
remote controls).  He's a curious chewer.   He's very happy and
well-balanced, so it's not like it's a neurotic obsession  (I've had experience with
those).  But he always has to have something in  his mouth.  Preferably
something smallish, that fits inside his  mouth.

He's always getting something, and doesn't always ask permission.
Quietly, delicately reaching up on tables, or pawing things out of shelves, or
nosing into pocketbooks.  Just this week she's caught him chewing on a
prescription pill bottle (unopened, thank goodness), a small wood sculpture from  a
windowsill (no idea how he got it), pens, scotch tape containers, etc.,
etc.

She has bought him every kind of chew toy to keep him occupied -- he likes
them all, for a while, but then his curiosity takes him everywhere else.
She's worked hard at puppy-proofing the house, but is so worried he'll find
something that will get him into trouble.  There's always somebody home
with him, and he gets twice-daily walks and playtime with other dogs so he's
busy enough; this isn't boredom, it's just his own natural hobby.

I just have never known a dog like this.  I've known some who  occasionally
enjoy consuming a shoe, but then it's out of their mind for a few  days.
But this dog always, always has to be working on something.   When he was
much younger, I thought it was teething, but he has all of his  grown-up teeth
now, and it's still constant.

Will he grow out of this?  (When?)  Is there any concern that  this is not
normal behavior?

My friend, her dog, and I thank you so much!