[Dailydrool] Bloating, Scooting and Eye Gunk (oh my!)

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 11:53:02 PDT 2009

Would it be possible for someone to put together (apologies if this has already been done but a quick look through the archives didnt show this up) a step-by-step 'what to do' in case of bloat - what medications need to be given if any, is the vet to be called immediately, can we do anything to alleviate if it happens?  I thought the other day that if Morse should ever bloat I would just panic and be useless, not knowing really what to do.

Morse is scooting again.  I am wary of getting the vet to 'evacuate' the anal glands as I understand that once it is done it can trigger possibly needless procedures in future?  But a friend did mention that if they do need doing, it may be causing him to be lethargic too.  Although it is humid as well which doesnt help......
Can the vet tell before he does the evacuation if they need doing by just prodding the area?

And lastly, I know we have discussed eye gunk, sleep  or boogers, whatever they are called (!) before, but I am having to clean Morse's eyes about every hour at the moment, they are a bit streamy and are getting a bit crusted too.  Its not discoloured and it doesnt smell nasty, just like normal gunk!  Could this be an infection or is it normal?

Drool to all in need,

Becky, (tired of googling for info and getting nowhere; always best to ask the droolers first!), Morse (prodding?  oh take me away from Florence Nightingale) and Pumbaa ATB (eek!  anals!)