[Dailydrool] Bonded pair needs a home

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Aug 22 17:10:48 PDT 2009

I got a call today from someone in my husband's church. His sister
took in two bassets off the street. They were dumped yesterday and
headed for a busy street when she called them. Apparently they're in
very good condition and look well-nourished.

They are both housebroken, know how to use a doggie door, are very
friendly and outgoing, and get along with the five cats that are in
the house they're camping out in. How they do with other dogs is
unknown as yet, but it's suspected they would be fine with them. Like
normal bassets, they quickly made themselves comfortable on the sofa.
All in all, they give every appearance of being well trained and
highly socialized with people.

Both are tri-colored, classic-looking bassets. They're possibly a
mother-daughter pair because they look so much alike. One may be
about two years old (she has young-looking teeth) and the other may
be about five. The older one looks like she may have had puppies at
one time, but the younger one doesn't. They're in the fifty-pound
range perhaps.

Of course, the home they're in at the moment can't keep them. The
sister is happy with her five cats and doesn't want dogs. But she
said she'd hang on to them until a home, permanent or foster, can be
found for them. However, I got the impression that home needs to be
found soon. At the moment they're hanging out in the fenced-in yard
with a screened-in porch for shelter.

The guy who called me, Denny, said he has two dogs and can't manage
four. He said that if he didn't have his two, he'd take these girls
in a heartbeat because they're such nice dogs and so well behaved. I
wish I could help him with it, but we're at our limit, too, and we're
looking at a fair amount of traveling in the next three months and
just can't afford to board three dogs (young Charlie doesn't behave
well at our friend Jennifer's).

His hope is that one of the rescue groups might be able to take the
hounds, so I said I'd put the word out here. Are there any rescue
groups within a reasonable distance of Nashville, Tennessee, that can
help with these bassets? Or is there someone out there in Drool-land
who would like to give a home to a pair of well-adjusted and well-
trained bassets?

I can send a photo of the bassets and Denny's cell phone number to
anyone who's interested. Since he's retired, he'd be happy to drive
the bassets to their next home wherever that may be.

Elizabeth