[Dailydrool] Help With Indiana Transport

Jan Marchlewski jan3luski at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 23 14:04:45 PDT 2009

[I'm forwarding this message on behalf of GABR's intake coordinator.  She cannot post it herself since she's not a member of the Daily Drool.]

Hi,

I feel a need to set the record straight and to thank Michigan Rescue for helping with the 2 dogs in Stark County.

Assuming you refer to Guardian Angel Basset Rescue as the Indiana rescue that has refused the 2 dogs in Stark county.
GABR has not refused the dogs in Stark County.  I was waiting to hear if they have been able to waive the $60 per dog charge they have for each of the bassets.  Suzanne was going to talk to the board about it.  To my knowledge the dogs have been living in a foster home for a month and are not in any danger.  They also have not received any real vetting - wormed and booster only.  They have not been altered or tested for heart worm or given their rabies or anything else.  The shelter called me and asked if we would take them because they were not having any luck finding homes for them.  I will take them but not for $60 each.  We have too many dogs in IL and IN that need to come in that do not come with a fee.  Many HS and AC will give us dogs that they have invested money in already without charging us.  They know that we will incur much larger bills than they will for these dogs so this is not an issue for them.  Further, the Stark County dogs
 are in foster homes and not about to be euthanized unlike the dogs we more typically take and I must leave room for.

I am glad that the Michigan rescue is in a position, both regarding room and finances, to take these dogs from states that are "outside" their borders. We have done the same for several states including Michigan when we could in the past. and will again in the future I am sure  It is a good policy for all of us to have when possible.  After all the dogs don't know there are borders. Unfortunately so many rescues are so full they can't keep up with their own areas let alone take from others.  This economy has made it very difficult for the animal world.  Anyway, Michigan, thank you.  It is good that we are able to help each other.  After all, it is all about the dogs - not the people.  Good luck getting transport.  There are certainly many people doing their best to help these dogs.

(Melissa, please call me about the 2 strays.  I would have taken them from MI today but the person who found them could not drive them to Chicago with the baby in the car when they drove down tonight.  I don't know if you take weekends off since this is your paying job so maybe you won't get her messages until tomorrow.  As I said, please let me know if you got her and my messages.)

But I digress.
Perhaps Michigan can get somewhere with Stark county regarding their policy of charging $60 per dog to a rescue that is also dependent on the charity of others.  If in fact these dogs have heartworm, the money will help offset that bill and the cost of the neuter/spay, rabies shops, etc.

Thank you for the kindness so many of you that receive this e-mail have for these dogs.  We are all trying in our own ways to help as many as we can. Now, more than ever we need to pull together to help as many dogs as possible.  And again, thanks to Michigan for stepping up when you had the room.

Regards,
Carol Boudreau
Intake Coordinator
Guardian Angel Basset Rescue