[Dailydrool] Poison Ivy

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 24 19:30:53 PDT 2009

Maybe dogs can't get poison ivy but I would bet that's what Marley had with her last bout of itching.  It was contained in one spot on her side and happened while the fence was being worked on and she was out helping.  There were multiple plants that she could have come in contact with.  The vet gave her antibiotics and a shot and we washed her well in her special shampoo.  It is gone now and didn't spread, thank goodness.  Unfortunately we seem to have quite a few plants in the yard.  The DH is very reactive to it so he doesn't want to do anything close to it.  I get it but not too bad.  He put something on the leaves that hasn't worked yet so he doesn't want me messing around with weeds or anything.  Looks like we are working on our own private jungle.

Nic and the DH built a new ramp for the back door yesterday.  The old one was made of indoor plywood and was beginning to rot.  The new one is sturdier but Miss Shelby is having trouble with it because it is smoother(slicker) than the old one and there are little strips on it to make it not so slippery when it is icy.  She keeps coming up the side and I have to pull her into the house.  Of course when the DH was watching her tonight, she navigated the thing perfectly.  I can fix the slick part.  Just not sure what to do with the ridges.  Shelbs would have a really hard time getting in and out without the ramp, though.  It is only one step but she is so short that she just can't do it.  Being old doesn't help either.

I used to think trying to go to the bathroom with toddlers was a pain because they were either wanting in the bathroom with me or tearing something up while I was in there.  Today, I put the girls out for a bit and then visited the bathroom.  I realized I might have made a mistake when I heard the screen door opening.  Ninja can let every one in by pushing the door open with her snout.  She let everyone in which is ok.  She also was letting the cat out.  I ran to the door just in time to see Picasso putting a paw over the threshhold.  I yelled and he jumped and ran--back in thank goodness.  He is fascinated by the back yard.  I just don't know what he would do if he got out in it.  I also don't want to explain to son #1 that his cat is somewhere out there lost.  I think some duct tape will fix the door so Ninja can't get her snout in position to open the door.

The girls are sending soft snooters and sad arooohs to the family of Mabel.  I'm sure she knew she was loved.  Poor old thing.  She couldn't have felt very good with all that stuff inside her.  We are so sorry her time could not have been longer with people who cared so much.

Ninja, Marley, Maggie, Shelby and Julie with the kitty boys.