[Dailydrool] Autum - our seniors

Pat Wood patshoundies at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:05:08 PDT 2009

thanks so much for those beautiful words about our Senior hounds- they comforted me especially today -  on Friday my dear 10 year old Oliver - bonded with Hannah, adopted as failed foster 101 from Suncoast Basset Rescue two years ago at the Sweetheart Waddle on my birthday! went ever so swiftly to The Rainbow Bridge, after a 4 week battle with a fast moving sarcoma which savaged his spleen, kidneys and made breathing impossible with so much pushed into his diaphram.....  We'd had a great summer, traveling up to Maryland for the BROOD Ramble (and oh all that MUD!!!)...and all our other wonderful car rides, walks, sniffs, and enjoyed the start of a hint of that Autumn sun warming the belly and bones.... it started as lethargy, and not eating (!)and when we went to our favorite basset vet, he tested and found...Lyme disease!  we so do not have that in Florida - except now, Dr. K says, he's treated 9 dogs here and 2 for Rocky Mountain spotted fever!....  we put him on the meds immediately, but he did not respond...or so we thought that was it - but, after traveling to Gainesville to the UF veterinary school, the sonogram and CT scan told the tale (tail)...of the ravaging of my sweet boy......  it wasn't even a choice to make - it was necessary - no more suffering or struggling to  breathe...

Hannah wanders searching for her Oliver - I've given her the clothing I wore holding him in my arms as he drifted away, and she seems to find some comfort in that.  Ethel, 13 and deaf now, who lost her bonded Bubba last year, comforts her too - and they are forging a new alliance between them - so we gurls will move into that Autumn....with our Oliver in our hearts forever.  My beautiful, beautiful, beautiful basset boy.....

With the Senior Hounds, I suppose we "set ourselves up" for the inevitable, but we are never prepared when that time comes - Again, thanks for the Autumn thoughts!

Pat Wood

The Wood House Hounds

Ethel, Hannah

Lady, Lilly, NeHi, Samantha, Bubba, ....and Oliver - ATB