[Dailydrool] accidents in the house

Jeni Schomber jschomber at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 19:36:30 PDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the list and have a couple of questions. My husband and I have a
3 year old Basset named Colbi. We got her from a rescue about a year and a
half ago. Everything was fine for the first few days and then she started
peeing in the house, even though the previous owner said she was house
broken. We thought she was just getting used to us, our other dog and a new
house. A month later she was still peeing, so we took her to the vet. She
had a bladder infection, we put her on antibiotics and everything was good
for another month or so. Then she started peeing again. Three bladder
infections later we finally took her to the vet again. This time we found
out she was forming crystals in her urine. So, we now have her on special
dog food.

Long story short, she has been on the new dog food for 4 months and she
still pees in the house. She can hold it all day (sometimes up to 8 hours)
when we crate her. She can usually hold it all night. We let her out the
moment we get home and again before we go to bed. But, she still pees.

Most often she pees behind furniture where we don't always catch her right
away. Or she does it as "revenge" (after we tell her "no" for one reason or
another).

So, here are my questions: Is this normal Basset behavior? If it isn't, how
the heck to do we get her to stop peeing in the house?

Help! We love her and need help to stop the behavior.

Thanks!

Jeni