[Dailydrool] For our seniors...love -- long, sorry

Heidi I Sarver sarvermb at UDel.Edu
Tue Aug 25 19:58:40 PDT 2009

Teresa,

Thank you for posting that beautiful thought/sentiment about autumn
and seniors.  It has been a difficult 24 hours here with Buford and
every word of that post expresses every feeling and action I have had
for the last few years but especially the last 24 hours.  I'm in the
middle of band camp at the University of Delaware and last night at 11
PM I came home to a nightmare.  Buford had a major relapse after
dinner while no one was home.  There was vomit from one end of the
house to the other.  He went through a major gas/bloat attack--first
one in over 3 months--and it continued through the night.

I was exhausted from teaching for the past 5 days from 8 AM - 11 PM
and I came home to a dog in distress.  I got him calm, gave him a gas-
x pill, got him to belch and move his bowels.  I then took to the task
of steam vacing the 3 rooms he "christened."  By 1 AM the house was
clean but he was very uncomfortable, so I sat with him, stroked him,
comforted him and stayed up with him all night as he drifted in and
out of sleep only to awaken with a gas pain and more hyper-salivation
and nausea every 45 minutes or so.  By 3 pm he managed to keep some
food down along with his medication--and I sat up with him again to
make sure he fell asleep and rested comfortably.

At 7 AM I passed out on the couch only to be woken at 8:05 AM by all
the various phones in my house ringing--350 UD Marching Band members
were on the practice field waiting for me and my staff had no idea
where I was.  Buford was still "not right" so the only decision that
could be made was made:  "Here's what needs to get done.  Hopefully I
will be there this afternoon, I have to get him to his doctor."  I
have quite the capable staff so I knew all would taken care of even if
I did feel negligent--but Buford came first this morning and if there
are people who don't understand then they have never looked into the
eyes of pure love and trust.

Trip to internist turned out to be good and not too good.  There was
really no reason for what happened--it is time to accept that Buford
will have good days and bad days, and the bad days will be very bad.
We put him back on some of the meds he was on after surgery and I took
him home.  I spent the afternoon with him--another missed 4 hour
rehearsal--and at 3:30 I gave him an early dinner and his meds so that
I could stay home and respond to him if he required attention.  All
seemed more under control--not perfect, but he seemed more at ease.
So I took a chance and went to the evening rehearsal session.

The band had a great day, we had a good evening rehearsal session and
I raced home petrified of what I would find.  I came in the door and
was greeted by the thumping of a basset tail against the family room
floor.  He was happy I was home and all seemed back to "normal."

I hope he has a peaceful night--I could desperately use some sleep.  I
think back on this day and know that I did the right thing.  The band
was in good hands and Buford needed the attention.  His bad days are
brutal--but his good days are fantastic.  Tomorrow we will sit on the
deck in the morning as we always do during camp week:  me with coffee
and him sniffing the morning air.

Oh the things we do for the ones we love--for they love us more than
we can possibly comprehend.

--heidi, buford, della and guinness the cat