[Dailydrool] basset seranade

Katherine Lenore bassetlover536 at live.com
Tue Aug 25 23:35:40 PDT 2009

This was a very funny post for my daughter and I.    Our
sweetheart Maggie used to get at the bottom of the stairs
and let out the loudest howls I'd ever heard.

It "disturbed" my annoying trying to sleep husband, Alan.  He
would yell out the door something silly like "knock it off Maggs"
thinking that it would make a difference.  And eventually,
she would stop and come upstairs and start an all out
bed assault with drool everywhere.  Then I got to go back
to sleep as he got up and fixed her breakfast and made
some for me sometimes too!

It amazes me how, even though we have another basset now,
how the smell of a basset is so unique, and how much I miss
Maggies smells.  How she left everything so perfumed in her
own way.

Our baby boy Gilligan keeps us running and loving, its just
as I read some of your archives, I noticed that I'm far from
the only basset owner to feel quite attached and more than
that when one leaves us.

I wonder if other breeds of dogs have this level of
emotional bonding with their owners.  I've never
noticed any of my friends with pictures on their car
windows of their dogs, or other friends openly crying
over the loss of their dogs months later.  We lost
Maggie last December and I have her picture all over
in various forms, like decals on the window, an 8 x 10
with roses on top in the downstairs bathroom, one
on my night stand, another on the stairs.

My husband is pretty much as emotional over her as I
am.  He won't bring her up, but I've seen him
kissing her picture by the door several times.  My
daughter Becca asked me to put up a picture that she
could kiss every day, then she thought Maggs would still
know she was loved.  That really touched me.

Please don't think I'm maligning other dog owners and
their emotions in any way.  I just was thinking about
my own level of "slight obsession" nine months later
and thinking to myself about other basset owners

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Don't worry, be happy!!!!

Katy Lenore
Alan, Rebecca & Susan