[Dailydrool] Bonded pair has a home

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Aug 26 08:27:51 PDT 2009

Denny left a message on my machine yesterday to let me know that he's
found the family of the bonded pair of bassets his sister pulled off
the street on Saturday. Ken said he saw Denny at work yesterday, and
Denny told him that the bassets had been missing from their home
since Thursday, I believe. When he called the pound about them, they
were on the pound's list of missing dogs to watch for. As I write
this, the girls should already be reunited with their family. I wish
I knew more about their family, home, and so on, but this is all I know.

The moral of this story, I've learned, is to check with Petfinder,
area animal control facilities, shelters, police, and vets first.
Although the economic climate is such that many, many pets are being
abandoned and dumped, there are some out there who really are
honestly lost and have families who want to find them.

The second lesson is to give all pets microchips--and register those
microchip numbers. Microchips aren't worth anything if they aren't
registered. A dog or cat can easily slip its collar, but it's a lot
harder to slip a microchip. Denny had the girls scanned. If they'd
been chipped and registered, they could have gone home a lot sooner
than they did.

Elizabeth