[Dailydrool] A Recent Neuter Telling About Roo Bears Operation and About Vets

Houndy2 at aol.com Houndy2 at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 11:00:35 PDT 2009

Background:
                        Dr. Marta Norbrega and Sandy Gaston helped with an
emergency     neuter on a beautiful big bombastic kinda Basset Hound last
Sunday. It was  an emergency for ME not him (because they are kind people and
I asked if they  could help him (me) asap! RooBear was extra extra humpie,
busy, and did not know  ANYTHING except to be lovey sweetest boy.
                        RooBear was kept in the back yard and slept on a
mattress in the garage  sooooo he is what I call a "wild child" When he pulled
over his  mistress  it was the final thing for them and he came to
us..bounding in  right OVER the couches into the lampshades and skidding over
tabletops. He is 1  1/2 yr. ~ alot to handle his guardian brought him to us at
Basset Rescue of  Puget Sound.
                        I want to tell you here on the Drool about this
actual SURGERY   for RooBear and the changes these two wonderful people who
helped him  have made for RooBear (and for the other Rescues too that we get
in)  but for us as  caregivers for rescuers as well. It is so simple and not
really THAT  new or  unheard of or anything  really  it is  such good common
sense but I just thought I'd TELL you about it   (Holistic Vet Care and
this new way of surgieries) because for so many YEARS  because of the Vets we
had helping us DID NOT KNOW OR KEEP UP WITH NEW  DRUGS OR TECHNIQUES  much
less know anything about Homeoapathy so  our  dogs had harder times getting on
with operations. We as rescuers too also had  harder time of it without the
care of Drs. like Dr. Marta Norbrega and  Dr.DougYearout. If you e mail me
personally I will give you their web  sites..lots of good information on the
animals hospital web sites that they have  where they work.
RooBear's Operation:
                      Outside  incision is GLUED shut (the inside ones are
sewn) The drugs used are more short  term and  AND a shot of pain medicine
is given after the operation as well.  Then when the neuter of the RooBear
was completed we laid him out on  blankets and he was rubbed (there is
probably a better WORD for this but...and  Sandy showed me some places to touch on
Roo Bear  and help bring him out of  the anesthetic.

                        I questioned our old Vet (of 35 years that we loved
but do not have him as our  Vet anymore) about the drugs he used and about
gluing the incision...and about  techniques for helping the dog come out of
the drugs and so able to heal Faster  and Better. They do not give a pain
med either and feel it is not needed.  Needless to say we NOW have new Vets.
with such a wealth of knowledge  and extreamly ABLE. We are soooo lucky. I am
just telling you here about it  so you might question your Vet about  her
or his procedures and med's. You  might ask if they have an educated person
in the helping out  AFTER the  operations to BE WITH THEM and not put them
alone in a cage afterward. Do they  use homeoapathy? Now we are so lucky to
have found these wonderful people  to help our Rescues but I just WONDER about
how many animals out there who are  being put through operations and
treatment that seem to me NOW like they are  from the dark ages.

                        RooBear went into the operation room and was
TOTALLY done and up awake sitting  up in no time at all. He is not interested at
all in bothering with his incision  because there are not stitches  on the
skin to pull or hurt or to bother  with. There are no stitches to pull at his
skin so that he would want to  lick.  (Of course we are making sure he is
not bounding around jumping  on or off steps or ottomans etc. Homeopathy is
used as well) Actually we do not  even have to use a collar or "cone" anymore
either after the operation and  instead stay with the dog. IF we have to
leave RooBear we would use the collar  and get him into a big wire crate. Low
lights, radio, and give him a  "Bullie" Chewy thing. (actually it is a dried
Bull Penis) or a fresh raw  beef shank bone with the fresh marrow inside. It
keeps them busy when they are  not dozing healing away like crazy.

                      RooBear is three days past his Neuter today and it
all was hardly anything  at all to him. He is adoptable now and on his way. By
Monday he should be up on  our web site Go to _www.adoptabasset.net_
(http://www.adoptabasset.net)  to take a peek and  this handsome boy why don't ya?
He is an extra handsome hound (good enough  to show actually) and as good
as gold. A treasure just as finding good  Vets (and Animal Behaviorists/Vet
tech's) who care enough to have  continuing education for themselves to help
their animal friends.  And  even more so..good people willing to help teach
us guardians how to help  their animal friends with really good common sense
healthy ways.

                      It sure is well worth the time and trouble it may be
to FIND a holistic Vet.  Also just a suggestion: a good clue is that they
have a special person who is  available at an extra cost (not much considering
the good it does for your  animal friend) to help bring the dog out of the
drugs/operation procedures they  may do. It makes a huge world of
difference.

                      Roo  still WANTS to jump over the couch but we are
showing him more healthy fun ways  to PLAY away the energy. I was just
thinking about all the ways our friends have  helped me too when they are helping
the rescue dogs with operations and tooth  cleaning etc. and wanted to tell
you about RooBears Glued up incision and how  quickly the dogs heal up using
these new ways.

Love and Woofin, Lexa Loved and Owned by Hudson and Henry
                                    Who are both "extra handsome"
Basset Hound Rescue of Puget Sound Coordinator
_www.adoptabasset.net_ (http://www.adoptabasset.net)