[Dailydrool] Sick hounds

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 15:08:10 PDT 2009

I've been reading the posts about Barney and Buford and was struck by Heidi saying at the end, "Oh the things we do for the ones we love--for they love us more than?
we can possibly comprehend."? Last Thursday, Fred didn't want to eat (he's usually picky and a VERY slow eater, but he wouldn't eat at all.)? I took him out and he had VERY loose stool, started eating grass and vomited.? That night, I fed him chicken and rice, and by the next day, he seemed a bit better.? I kept him on the chicken and rice, which he happily ate.? At 2 AM Friday night/Saturday morning, I woke up and heard one of the dogs walking around (they sleep in the living room because Annie won't climb up the stairs.)? I went down and found Fred wandering around.? He'd had an accident in the dining room.? I took him out (it was POURING rain) and he started chomping on the grass again.? I brought him back in, but he couldn't get settled and stood by the door looking to go out again.? We went back out in the rain, me with a flashlight, so he could eat some more grass.? He came inside and vomited.? That finally made him feel better and he, Annie and I curled up on the pull-out couch in the living room (so I could keep an eye on him, and because I felt that he needed to cuddle!)? Next morning we went to the vet and did all the extra tests, "just in case."? He's now on medicine and seems to be feeling much better...I spent 3 nights on that lumpy pull out couch...I like having them to cuddle too!

?

When he wasn't feeling well, I felt like he would look at me as if to say, "Do something mommy."? I told a friend of mine and she said, "He probably wasn't, but I know what you mean."? I'm not so sure...? I sometimes wonder if they know how much we love them, and how we'd do anything for them.? But then, when they don't feel well and want to be as close to us as possible, and look at us with those eyes, begging us to make them feel better, I think they absolutely know...we love them as much as they love us!

?

Funny, I was fighting with my insurance company yesterday over MY medical bills, but don't blink at paying close to $400 for the vet to make sure that a stomach bug is "just" a stomach bug!!

?

Rose, Annie (I don't like Freddie being sick, but when he is, we get good food!) and Fred (my mommy takes good care of me, but I don't like when she shoves pills down my throat!)