[Dailydrool] Lost Dogs

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Wed Aug 26 18:25:40 PDT 2009

Elizabeth writes about the pair of sisters who finally went home:

"The moral of this story, I've learned, is to check with Petfinder,
area animal control facilities, shelters, police, and vets first.
Although the economic climate is such that many, many pets are being
abandoned and dumped, there are some out there who really are
honestly lost and have families who want to find them."

Here in Utah, it is actually the law that you cannot "harbor a stray".
If you find an animal, you must turn it in to your local shelter, as that
is where the owner will be searching. You can, of course, tell the shelter
that if no one claims the dog, you will take it--but you have to give the
legal owner a chance to claim it.  If we have someone who wants to turn
strays over to us, we have to advise them to take the dogs to their local
shelter, and then we contact the shelter to make sure they are picked up.
If not, then we can take them. Actually makes sense. Also, helps with
the "dognappers" who  see a cute, maybe expensive, dog they want
in his own front yard or a neighbor's and decide to take him home.

Marilyn Briggs