[Dailydrool] Rosebud's gone to be with Beauregard

Kathy Miller kmiller7 at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 28 15:00:28 PDT 2009

The day I have been dreading for quite some time came yesterday.  The Diva Dog Rosebud has gone to play with Beauregard at the Bridge.  Yesterday was a tough day for me, because Rosebud lets everyone within a five mile area know she's at the vet's office and they could call the people on me.  I asked if she could be sedated first and then euthanized and that's how she went, very quietly and peacefully with a tear running out of her eye as they turned her on her side.

Rosebud never bonded with the other bassets after Beauregard went to the Bridge.  I got her when he was a year old so he would have a buddy, and yes he did.  As a puppy, Rosebud's elevator didn't go to the top floor on many days.  She was a funny basset.  She went nose to nose with a frog hanging out in the biggest water bowl they had ever seen (wading pool to cool off...but didn't use it that way).  She cause a box turtle to have a psychotic break because she was barking at it to alert me of the eliminate attack.  Beauregard sat there and looked at her with a look of "you go gurl!".  She decided to sniff a beetle (the ones with the big vice grip pinchers) and ran back in the house yelping and flinging her hind paw.....I could hear the "Get it off of me! Get it off of me!  Get it off of me!"...in fact the neighbors in a five mile radius were hearing her too.  Then there were the two times she and Beauregard duked it out with the killer Cicada.

As she aged, she made the loveseat her throne and would be highly insulted if she had to share it with someone else....and that included me.  She loved her treats.  She could have auditioned for the dog in the Began Strips commercial, because she would lose all dignity and go bonkers.  Her eyesight was really bad from cataracts the last 2 years of her life.  However, she wasn't that blind, because she could see me pull out some marrow bone treats and those ears  all 12 inches  would perk up.

Writing about these memories bring a smile to my face, and a tug on my heart.  I will miss that snoring Diva, but I know she is having a great time catching up with Beauregard and Baxter.

Kathy Miller and the boys, Gus and Frank the tank