[Dailydrool] Bone pigs and fights

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 30 18:07:35 PDT 2009

We have a bone pig or I should say collector at out house.  I found big marrow bonesat the grocery store and they were quite a hit at home.  One not so little girl in particular loves her bones.  She also loves everyone else's bones too.  Miss Maggie thinks all bones are hers.  We are down to one now but they all had one at the beginning.  She lays in whatever doorway she can take up the most space in and then begins to steal all the bones.   She is the sweetest girl except when there are bones or hooves involved.

Poor old Shelby gave up her bone first.  I don't think she knows what to do with them.  Then she tried to walk past Maggie to get to her donut.  Maggie grabbed her by the snout and wouldn't let go.  There was so much screaming and bellowing you'd have thought someone was dying.  I was part of it too.  Maggie looked bewildered like she didn't know what she did.  Poor Shelbs didn't know what hit her.  A couple of treats later she calmed down and slept for a long time in her donut.

Maggie is up here next to me right now.  All but one of the bones have been disposed of.  No one else really cares about them.  She  has this naughty streak and when it comes out it really comes out.  She just ate her breakfast and dinner and is now snoring to her little heart's content.  Maggie is not a morning basset and usually only eats once a day.  We have to watch because other little bassets are not picky about whose breakfast they eat.

On the subject of fighting among bassets, we don't have much now at all but with our first two girls we had some knock down drag outs.  Sassy and Daisy were littermates, sisters who loved each other very much.  They were sisters--and they fought like them sometimes.  Sassy was the runt of the litter and she was a little pill.  Daisy was much more laid back and a bigger girl.  Sassy liked to torment her sister as sisters sometimes do.  She would tease, and poke and bite at Daisy until Daisy had enough.  Then she would explode.  They would fight like mortal enemies.  We would each get one and hold them apart.  We would put one out or in another room or the fight would resume as soon as one got loose.  After the boys were born, we were more worried about them if a fight started so we would pick up a kid and let the girls have at it.  No serious damage was ever done and when the fighting stopped they went back to being the best of friends.  And those two girls never, ever bit a person.  They were the sweetest girls we have ever known.   I imagine them running through fields chasing rabbits, which they dearly loved to do.