[Dailydrool] licking metal

Margaret Honnold machonnold at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 19:14:40 PDT 2009

Hollyberry is the most intense puppy I have ever known. To be truthful it has been A LOT of years since I had a puppy and my memory could be some what dim regarding puppyhood but this little almost 10 month buppy just slays me. When she is focused on something it is impossible to unfocus her attention with the exception of the arrival of one of the grandchildren...she will give up anything to run off and greet whichever one just came in to the house.

Currently, she is intensely interested in anything metal. It all began with her new rabies tag which she licked NONSTOP until I finally took off her collar...and progressed to my husbands belt buckles, a barrel of large bolts in the garage,the strips which hold the flooring down, the chain link fence, Noah's tags and of course, the metal cat food bowls after cleaning up the contents. She licks my metal glasses frames, my gold hoop earrings, the buckles on my purse and would go after my car keys if I allowed her to. When she begins to lick it starts softly and builds to a crescendo of frenzy drool slinging, slobbering and whining to be stopped only when said object is removed. The only metal object which she runs from is my flute...which I am trying not to take as an editorial comment on my playing and blame the high notes hurting her ears. Although when I held it out for her to sniff she ran the other direction.

Which brings me to my question. I know about pica in humans (craving of nonfood items like dirt, paint chips, laundry starch in little kids and pregnant women) but do dogs have pica? Is Holly's fascination with licking metal a pica activity? Should I be worried about this or just make sure she doesn't eat something she shouldn't and forget it?

Actually, Holly licks everything.
Thanks,
Maggie Honnold   Honnold's Hound and Furkitty Farm
Hollyberry (I like to lick....come hear Noah let me lick your...OK, OK, OK just your ears)
Noah (I was trained to not lick....what is the big deal about licking...I'll take a good sniff anytime over a lick)