[Dailydrool] Update from Daphneyland

Marie28443 at aol.com Marie28443 at aol.com
Mon Aug 31 02:53:18 PDT 2009

This is an email that I received from Dawn at Daphneyland in the wee hours
of this morning and I thought nobody could word the situation better than
Dawn  has.  We're trying to keep everyone updated on the situation in So.
California.   Later today, we'll have a list of items they need at
Daphneyland to help care for the hounds with the dense smoke in the area.   Until
then, please send prayers and Drool.

Marie

Before my head hits the pillow and I become dead to the world for a few
hours - I thought I'd post this evenings update.

Under an almost full moon the flaming glow from a fire line that spans the
horizon directly in front of us (South) from West at what is Mt. Wilson -
al the  way to the east out of our line of vision - a new segment of fire
began tonight  burning very hard - we believe it must be the Juniper Hills Fire
- and if so,  that line of fire stretches without break.

Cody - one of our little demon hounds (stubborn beyond belief!) somehow
found his face to face encounter with a rattlesnake last night.  He's doing
well now, however, he is not exactly the happiest hound in the bunch., he's
being very clingy - as can be expected.

The Station Fire.  How many homes, families, rescues, wildlife this
enormous fire has affected I cannot begin to imagine.  As we sit -  attempting to
keep hounds happy and safe for as long as we can - to move hounds  in an
evac situation like this is not something you do lightly - 3/4 of Acton is
under mandatory evacuation - we are not - we are north of the 14 freeway -
however, we will not take chances and if the fire lines shifts - or winds
change, we will be evacuating.

We continue to ask for drool prayers for the hounds - earlier today we
asked for prayers to keep the fire moving to the east...... and I have come to
regret that request.  Earlier this evening a call came in - one that I
have to share.  A friend called - very upset.  A fellow rescuer had  evacuated
their animals, and was with a pal - a firefighter - and the last call  heard
from him was from his cell - as he and his firefighter buddy laid on the
floorboards trying to get fresh air - the fire had encircled him and they
could  not get out.  They are to our east by several miles.  I won;t release
his name as from the small amount of news I hear, they are not reporting
it...  yet.  So what I will say is this -

Please send Drool Prayers that all fires will quickly die down and
containment can be achieved.  I would not wish any of this on a single  creature -

The hounds had cookies and bedtime songs - are tucked in with air on - and
doors dropped.  The humans are watching the fire line.....

Be safe everyone - keep that drool slinging...

Dawn of the West
and the Hounds of Daphneyland