[Dailydrool] Otis

Linda Dianis ldianis at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 06:20:25 PST 2009

I am way behind and my heart goes out to those with sick and suffering
houndies and others. Otis has kept me away, tho I have needed the
drool so badly.

A week ago Saturday Otis's pressure spiked in his remaining eye and
did not drop all the way. Long story as short as I can, we TRIED to
get him in for the shunt surgery that Monday and just couldn't.
Meanwhile we were
set to drive to NC on Tuesday for Tgiving with Otis and Nelly (and our
renal-very failing kitty Ollie for one last reunion with our kids).
Our opthal sent us with names of surgeons he knew there, and prayers.
I dosed Otis with eye drops every 6 hours round the clock. It was very
difficult and stressful. One night he had some vision loss and was
bumping into things before I could get his pressure back down. Somehow
we got through the weekend. (We got a terrific photo of all 3 asleep
together in the BUV.)

Otis was admitted Monday (yesterday) at 8 am for shunt surgery. When
hewent in, his pressures were elevated but he could still see as well
as last week. The surgery took 2 hours instead of about one. I was a
wreck. The opthalmologist (Dr. Cass-OTIS!) feels optimistic that
things are good. His pressures are down. While Otis was under, he also
re-injected his other (already blind) eye to repeat the failed
gentocin injection to relieve pressures there too. He has been there
all night and I am going to be able to go to see him and probably
bring him home today. It is several hours round trip (but not like
Daisy's interstate jaunt!)

There are risks that the shunt may clog and altho this is a complete
cure, it may not be permanent. It has been 5 months exactly since his
first eye flared up with trouble. We have spent thousands on this, and
cried a lot, but for the first time, I think I will sleep well tonight
again. The promise of no more pain for Otis and no more eyedrops has
me delirious with joy! If you have spare drool, send it here. We need
some good outcome here.

Linda, with Nelly --- and soon I hope Otis.