[Dailydrool] supplements and hip dysplasia

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Dec 1 06:18:12 PST 2009

Yes, Melissa, yes, Yes, YES! Start him on supplements!
Here is a fantastic article on Ester-C and hip dysplasia.  http://workingdogs.com/doc0039.htm
I have noticed a huge difference in Clover's (13yrs plus) mobility and a reduction in her arthritis pain.  She also gets a glucosamine complex vitamin, which she just chews up, and a CoEnzyme Q10 with fish oil.  I give her the ester-c and Co-Q10 in peanut butter, and just toss the glucosamine to her.  She doesn't have stomach issues, and she really loves the peanut butter, so our daily pill giving is super easy.  While you are at it, give probiotics too.

Have you considered building a ramp?  Really, if he has pain and mobility problems, at the very least building a ramp to the potty yard  is very important so that he is comfortable NOT peeing in the house. Hills are not so much a problem, because they don't put pressure on his spine like steps do. This hip dysplasia stuff HURTS, so as long as you can help keep him moving, the better he will be and the longer he will be pain managed.
Good luck , I hope Basil can be mobile and pain free for a very long time!
Gaylene and the 6 pack plus a Pomahuahua!