[Dailydrool] Elmo's attack

Maura DeYong mauradeyong at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 2 13:59:44 PST 2009

Dog attacks are pretty common, but it is hard to deal with when it is your own dog. I have a bloodhound that is very dog aggressive, so I guess I am on the other side of the coin in these situations. He will live with me until the day he dies because if he were to go anywhere else, he would be put down. He is a wonderful dog to my pack and me, but to other dogs that he doesn't know, he is terrified and he comes across as aggressive. He was a rescue, so I don't know what his background was before I got him at 3.5 years old. I have worked with trainers, and to no avail, so he is my "special needs" dog. And at 105 lbs, he is a challenge. I take specific steps with him when he is out on a walk with me to keep others safe and myself out of trouble.

If it were me, I would have a long talk with your walker. Does she know what to do in these circumstances? Breaking up a dog fight is tricky unless you know how to do it properly. You can end up in the ER if you are not careful. Can she spot the signs that a dog is ready to attack? Is she very familiar with the dogs that she allows Elmo to socialize with on walks? If she is busy talking and not observing the dogs, it would be easy for a fight to occur and she has no idea it was coming. Dogs can square off in a matter of seconds. Does she carry protection (mase, gun) when she is walking (I ask that because I have been chased by loose dogs before).  Is she aware of other dogs around her when she is walking? (I constantly watch when we are walking to avoid other dogs). Ultimately, you are responsible because it is your dog, whether Elmo is being attacked or attacks someone else. Out on the walk, she needs to be able to make decisions to protect him and
 keep him from getting into trouble. I hope Elmo is feeling better. :)