[Dailydrool] Pet insurance: Warning

Sally King sally.king at nqe.com
Thu Dec 3 07:00:04 PST 2009

When I first got Rolph I invested in pet insurance.
Knowing nothing about it, I bought the cheapest. Over the nearly three years Rolph has been in my life, I have called on it often, waited months for settlement and seen the list of exclusions rise. When Torsion and Bloat were excluded, I decided it was time to buy a different policy from a well recognised company.

I did hours of research and settled on a company. I rang them to check a few points and was told I must cancel my current policy, before appying for theirs (I was going to cancel once the new one had run the first month, when they won't accept claims).

So, I cancelled Rolph's policy, filled out the online application for the new one and was then told because he was a rescue dog, they would not automatically cover him and they would have to reseach his medical history first. This means Rolph is currently uninsured with a public holiday just around the corner (and he always gets sick on bank holidays). He may never be insured again if they turn him down.

Be warned. I am furious.

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK