[Dailydrool] Trauma Museum

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Tue Dec 8 07:03:25 PST 2009

Not long after Dozer came to live with us he managed to impale himself on a long sliver of wood from our deck.  I used to walk barefoot on this very same deck and NEVER got splintered but this low-slung hound managed to get a six inch splinter under the skin of his chest.  It probably would have just pulled out the same way it went in but they opened him up to be sure there were no tiny fragments left behind to become infected.  He looked a bit like FrankenDog while he healed but was none the worse for wear.  The techs loved him and he, them, as in order to bandage/check out the wound he had to lie on his back.  In his Basset mind it was just to be the recipient of lots of bellyrubs, LOL.

Years ago, we had a tiny Yorkshire Terrier who adored cheese.  My husband took her along with him everywhere he went, including a trout fishing jaunt one afternoon.  He was baiting the hooks with worms...and tiny pieces of cheese.  He claimed this is why he was so successful at catching lots of fish.  Libby gobbled up a piece of cheese - and swallowed the hook along with it.  DH tied off the line to her collar and hauled her off to our local vet.  They in turn referred her to the U of Penn vet hospital in Philly. Their only suggestion for removing it was to do surgery.  We didn't want to subject her to surgery but they couldn't figure out any other way to remove it without causing further trauma in the process.  DH suggested putting a tube down into her esophagus and pulling the hook up and out through it.  They decided it was worth a try.  They sedated her, passed a large feeding tube into her belly and under floroscopy, were able to pull the hook back out her esophagus via the tube without it catching on anything on the way out.  They waived their fee in exchange for the publishing rights on an article about it.  LOL...

Sandi, Mamaslave to the NJ crew
Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and Dudley