[Dailydrool] Dog walking

jacanny at aol.com jacanny at aol.com
Tue Dec 8 08:20:05 PST 2009

When I'm away during the week (ending soon with retirement coming), my husband walks the 3 bassets, using 3 25 foot flexi  leashes.  It's quite a sight.  Gallagher is the official squirrel inspector and races to every squirrel he sees.  At 18 months, he's either running, trotting or sitting.  Poppy, somewhere between 8 & 9 years old, isn't swift of feet in the morning.  She doesn't want to miss a walk, but likes to go at her own basset speed.  MacKenzie can't quite make up her mind.  Follow Gallagher or hang with Poppy.  It takes roughly 1 1/2 hours to go about a mile.  If they see a tree, you can bet that they will go on different sides.
As they near the house, it's wrestling time.  Gallagher knocks MacKenzie over and Poppy starts barking up a storm to get into it.  How he keeps the 3 leashes from a total "braid" is beyond me.  Stopping 3 leashes at once with only 2 thumbs, is a miracle.  When I'm home, I typically take Poppy and we swap MacKenzie back and forth, depending on her mood.  Having just moved in less than 3 months ago, the dogs have ensured that we've met the entire neighborhood.  They've become quite a hit!