[Dailydrool] Timmy (ATB)

Timmy & Beulah we4bassets at comcast.net
Tue Dec 8 09:07:07 PST 2009

Hello Friends,
I haven't posted for just about forever, but do want to update everyone on
Timmy, a/k/a Timmy Forever, a/k/a Psychodog.  We had to send him to The
Bridge in September.  He had developed a condition known as mega-esophagus
where his esophagus was all stretched out and had no more musculature to get
food down into his stomach.  The vet prescribed a diet of what we called
gruel (canned food mixed with water to give a soupy consistency), fed 3-4
times a day, keeping him in a position where his head and shoulders were
above his hind-end (gravity doing the work of the esophagus muscles), and
keeping him in an upright position for 10-15 minutes after each meal.  This
regimen worked for quite a while, and he actually outlived his prognosis by
about a year, but around Labor Day he took a turn for the worse, refusing
all food and not keeping down what little he was eating, so we both felt it
was his time.  He was 12.

Old-timers on the Drool may remember what a challenge he was for us.  He had
a bad case of separation anxiety when we first got him from rescue (Nov.
1998), and destroyed two crates, escaping from both, even with a padlock on
one.  He could and did jump up on tables and counters (all 4 paws!), knew
how to open the fridge and freezer before we bungeed both shut, grabbed
burners off of the stove top while turning one or more burners on as he
jumped off, and the list just went on and on.  He was one of the first
members of the OEBE.  But he loved us and we loved him, and about five years
ago he did calm down quite a bit.

We are on the short Howliday Card list this year.  Timmy has been on our
card every year since 1999--this year will be his last.  He was so "larger
than life" that it feels like the end of an era.  We miss you, Old Friend.

Pat, Ron and Beulah