[Dailydrool] Walking 3 dogs Story

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Thu Dec 10 06:40:55 PST 2009

Sorry to be late on this thread. Just took a foster dog with Addisons and trying to figure it out. Anyone with info, please email me direct.
The first time I had 3 dogs (I had 2 bassets and my sister's yellow lab-- she was building a house out of state and in a rental that wouldn't allow dogs), I used to beg one of my teenage sons to come with me and help with the 3rd. One night no one was available, and my annoying dogs expected to GO, MOM! no matter what. So I gave it a
try. We usually walked about a mile and a half around the subdivison's blocks.  I was so proud of myself for keeping the leashes in constant motion and changing them from hand to hand-- no tangles, doing great,
just need to keep the concentration. We were about 4 houses from ours when a cat ran across right in
front of the 3 dogs-- chaos ensued.  I ended up standing on the sidewalk with flexi leads wrapped around
my body at all points. The 16 foot flexis were reduced to about 1 1/2 feet. Each dog was tethered right up
against me, and also against the other 2. We still had major cat excitement, so I did not DARE
undo the leashes to entangle them. I could only walk in baby steps. The dogs were right up against me
and each other, all three of them. They were quite contrite when they realized our predicament. We baby
stepped the four houses, all the while I was so hoping none of my neighbors were looking out their windows. How embarrassing!  We finally go to our house, and my legs were wrapped so tightly, I could not figure out how to get up the 3 porch steps!  I still didn't dare to let them off leash-- So I did 3 little jumps to get up on the porch. I was never so glad to be home from a walk !  It has gotten easier with time,
although there have been occasions when I have had very active foster dogs that were so not in the slow
motion mine are that I have done 2 separate walks to keep the peace. Extra exercise, but a pain.
 (BTW, walked 4 on flexis yesterday at the gully--was cold and not much fun for me--dogs had fun. Definately a learned art)
Marilyn