[Dailydrool] Young Charlie's fourth

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Dec 12 14:26:11 PST 2009

Young Charlie celebrated his fourth birthday yesterday. Who would
have thought he'd live long enough to see his fourth? Certainly not
I! Some days he was just this close to being slaughtered in cold
blood, the remains of my possessions scattered about his corpse. But
then he'd fall asleep in my arms, all warm and fuzzy and sweet-faced,
and I'd grudgingly think, "Okay, I'll wait until tomorrow to kill you."

We took young Charlie in when he was eleven months old, a very busy
eleven-month old. He was our first buppy, and I'd always been under
the impression that buppies took a lot of naps. Not this one. Charlie
was busy busy busy from the moment he got up until the moment we
shoved him into his crate at night. I took to locking him in my
office with me in order to reduce the amount of running through the
house I had to do to take things out of his mouth.

Although he's now officially a Big Boy and can (and does!) nap during
the day, Charlie still finds plenty to do and plenty to run around
with in his mouth with the hope I'll chase him for hours. There's
nothing he likes more than a good game of chase, and it really
doesn't matter who's chasing who just so long as lots of running and
hot pursuits are involved. His most favorite things to pick up to
entice me to chase him are magazines, small articles of clothing, and
wood scraps (we're redoing a floor).

Sometimes he hops up on the bed, which he knows he's not supposed to
be on, ever, and he walks across it, looking for contraband like
socks or hats to run around with in his mouth. Once in a blue moon
he'll get on the bed and curl up comfortably on it, facing the door
so he can enjoy the panoply of expressions that cross my face when I
finally see him in there. I think his favorite is my shocked
expression: "I can't believe you did that!" And why, after three
years of young Charlie, do I continue to feel disbelief when I see
him curled up on my bed? It's times like that when I consider killing
him on the spot for doing what he *knows* is verboten, but the longer
I scold him, the more his eyes twinkle and the harder it is for me to
keep from laughing with him. I struggle until I have to turn away so
he can't see me smile, and that's when he knows his winning streak
remains solid.

This is how young Charlie, my merry mischief maker, keeps on living
to see yet another birthday. He's my lighthearted, joyful little boy
whose inability to take anything outside of mealtimes seriously makes
my life so much better.

Happy fourth birthday, young Charlie!

Elizabeth