[Dailydrool] New to the list :)

Robin Wherley robindw at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 13:03:03 PST 2009

Hi -

I just watched that video montage of Buford. What a beautiful, beautiful hound. I was sobbing like a little girl, then giggling at that last picture. :) Much drool to you and all the others going through the painful loss and illness of their babies.

I have been lurking on the list and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I love reading the basset-tales. Especially the ones in Basset-speak. Hysterical!

We are owned by a lab mix named Marquis, a shepherd mutt named Roley (9 years old), and a basset brat named Franklin (3 years old). Marquis, the eldest at 13, has been having a terrible few months, suffering 5 ruptured disks, back surgery, the inability to walk, numerous UTIs, and now blindness and diabetes. I don't know how much more my golden boy can stand. Although he is not a basset, I would love some drool flung his way.

The vet said that another dog will frequently become the blind dog's guide, and we had put our money on Roley since she is far less selfish than Frankie. It looks like we may have been wrong. Frankie lays next to Marquis a lot, keeping him company since Marquis still can't get up or walk on his own. Of course, he does not pass up the chance to steal food from under Marquis' nose, but he has become quite the little nurse to his big brother. Never underestimate the love and caring nature of a basset hound. :)

I also have a question - have other droolers had problems with skin infections in their bassets? We are taking Frankie to a dermatologist on the 21st. He has had repeated skin and ear infections, both from yeast and staph. The poor hound has a raw and itchy throat, chin, and armpits. We've been doing spot baths and Caldesene powder since the antibiotics aren't doing the trick this time. Any other suggestions or tips?

Nice to meet you all. :)

Robin and Marquis and Roley and Franklin (and the other slave, Chris)

Marquis http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080960
Roley http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080964
Franklin http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080965

*Woof*