[Dailydrool] 1st Time Rock Eater -- Drool PLEASE!!!

Shanem shanemmail-forums at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 19:58:30 PST 2009

My wife and I have been an avid reader of the drool since we got our pup back in June.

He has been getting sick an yacking up white foam every morning or so at 5-6am for a couple of weeks, and I was beginning to think it was because he was hungry, which may have been the case.

Well, after coming home at lunch today and Rufus wouldn't eat his food, I became suspicious.  He did doodle in the yard a couple of times, and when I was checking I noticed that some from yesterday had rocks in it.  He drank well at lunch (ate a big breakfast too-although slower than normal) so I let him be for a couple of hours till I brought the kids home from school.  By that time he wouldn't eat or drink and seemed a little listless, so I started calling the local vets to get him in (ours is closed on Mondays and the emergency vet doesn't open until later in the evening) and finally found one that would take him.  I got him in early this evening and my suspicions were confirmed.  He had a BIG rock lodged in his small intestine.  Must have been about the size of a ping-pong ball, plain as day on the X-ray.  By this time it was 8:30 or so and the vet said she'd do surgery this evening or early in the morning after she examined him better.  He wasn't
 dehydrated much she said, and he had only vomited once right before we took him to the vet.  He was in good spirits except for looking a little tired and was very cheerful greeting everyone at the Dr's.  Hopefully the surgery will go without incident and he hasn't done any damage to himself otherwise because I may have waited too long.

Everyone please say a prayer for our "little" 8 month old Rufus who doesn't know he's not supposed to eat everything he sees.  We don't know what we'd do without him.

On a side note, I think we will be ordering one of the Italian Basket Muzzles for him since he's shown a liking to rocks now, instead of just mulch, twigs, and everything else.