[Dailydrool] Question about erlichia

Wendie L Prince houndsabound at att.net
Tue Dec 15 15:52:11 PST 2009

Hi all,
First off,  we send our prayers and the Bounders their drool to those ailing and our sympathy for 2 leggers and 4 leggers recently leaving for the bridge.  Seems like way too many lately.  Very sad.

I do have a question about erlichia.
SHA took in an older hound,  Bona, from a "rescue" in AL where she had been kept outside for a couple years, in a pen.  Apparently she came to me with erlichia.  This was just diagnosed a few days ago, she is on doxycycline for at least a month.    I have had quite a few Bassets  come into my home when I was working with another rescue, who had erlichia,  and it always presented itself with a high fever.   Bona has never had a fever with this.  We started doing bloodwork due to her urinating so much, inside and out, like she had a UTI.
Guess am just wondering why she did not get a fever.

wen and the Bounders