[Dailydrool] Skinny bassets

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 02:31:04 PST 2009

More advice needed please.

I have a very rare problem. Skinny bassets.

I have always been very firm about keeping their weight in check and since I have had them (Rolph almost three years, Clara more than two) their weight has remained fairly constant. If they've gained a little girth I cut back their food a little, if they lose a little i bump it up a bit.

Suddenly, over the past month, they have both lost quite a bit of weight. I have not changed their food and still used the same measure. They eat Burns kibble http://www.burnspet.co.uk/  which is a very good quality, hypoallergenic dry food. The only changes to their diet have been the exclusion of any gluten in their treats (but they still get treats) and the addition of 1 tblspn of diatomaceous earth, mixed with natural yoghurt once per day. This is supposed to be a natural wormer, but I also gave them worming tablets  when I couldn't get them to gain weight.

They are not having any extra exercise.

For the past couple of weeks I have been giving them extra food, much more than I usually would, but they just don't seem to be putting on any weight. They are both happy and healthy, but they are now at the lower eand of what I would consider a healthy weight.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK