[Dailydrool] The collar dilemma

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 08:43:30 PST 2009

My dogs have NEVER worn collars in the yard (except Cooper--nevermind)
Mainly because I did not want "collar rings" on my show dogs. They are
chipped, and I check the chips on a semi-annual basis to make sure they are
still in place and still working.

Now this is fine.
If Nigel got loose nobody could get near him or grab him without a collar. I
know this. He would run, he would panic and he would be totally freaked. I
expect Llewis might be easier for a stranger to grab, but even he might get
freakie with Nigel being a space cadet. (I suppose if they got hungry
enough...)
Cooper--- if he gets loose he DOES panic, because he knows he is not allowed
out of the yard alone. He WOULD run. But, he has a collar on.

Recently, the boys began really fighting. It became harder and harder to
separate them without a collar to grab, so now the two males (Conley and
Nigel) wear heavy nylon collars, inch wide, double thick. They are not
tight. They would pull right out of them if I didn't twist a bit when I
grab, BUT this also puts them at risk when they play rough in the yard, and
rough is the order of the day. Yes, dogs get their jaws caught in each
other's collars and strangle. Dogs strangle in their crates with collars on.
(I have had to put up a sign on each crate reminding me to remove the
collar) Dogs get loose and duck OUT of their collars....

Do what you are comfortable with, I guess. The chances of them strangling
during play is probably pretty negligible, but it is a moot point if your
dog is the one who is happens to. It is more likely that they might get away
from you or the yard than kill each other playing, I guess. What're the odds
of either happening?  I leave collars on now to break up fights, but it has
the added benefit of giving someone finding one of them a handle. (Or me, if
i have to drag them home.) Mine have gotten loose. I have been extremely
lucky and caught up with them before they disappeared..

MomPerson to Nigel (oh I don't know you stay away!!!) Llewis (ummm...I
dunno......) Conley (Hi! Got treats?) Cooper
(oooooooooooohidontthinkso...........)