[Dailydrool] Heartworm Meds

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Wed Dec 16 15:25:30 PST 2009

Just let me say how much I LOVE the Drool. We have our first positive (desperately hoping false positive)
heartworm basset in Utah. So many people responded to my question. Thank you, thank you-- and I
have to say I have so much respect and sympathy for some of the southern rescues that apparently deal
with this with pretty much all their dogs.

The question I now have is this: Utah Friends of Basset Hounds deals with at least 4 veterinary hospitals,
which are comprised of maybe 20 vets, total. I have had 3 personal vets, not the same as the rescue. All
of these vets recommend in Utah that dogs get heartworm medication only from April to October, when
it freezes. I had been reading some things and asked my current vet, whom I really, really like, if I should
give mine Heartgard over the winter and he told me No. I think part of that is we have not had many cases here. But we also have Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, and they brought in a bunch of Katrina dogs, and
that may have changed things for heartworm in Utah.
So the question is: How many of you only give your dogs heartworm meds in the summer months?  And
where are you located? --
Marilyn Briggs