[Dailydrool] The Great GGBR Basset Rescue

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 18:17:34 PST 2009

Luckily Mother Nature gave us the wonderful gift of a very nice day for The Great GGBR Rescue on Friday.  Their were 61 (?)bassets ranging from 6 months to 8 years old that were taken in.  Thanks to the hard work of GGBR, Addy and the many volunteers that were at the ranch the rescue went rather smoothly.  I think God smiled down on all of us as well as the many bassets that are all in fosters homes tonight enjoying their 3rd night of knowing a home and love.  Thank you to all that stepped up to foster and to the new fosters.  I also want to thank everyone who so generously donated because without you this rescue would never have happened.

I bit my tongue many times and held back tears as I watched the bassets experiencing a collar and leash for the very first time.  Some were fighting the leash, some were flat basset out of fear and then their were a few that seems to be somewhat okay with all the commotion.  A few bassets did escape, only to return back to their kennel.  I cannot even imagine how they were feeling being forced out of the only home they have known.  Having their leash thrust into a hand then going off with strangers to a place so very different than what they have know and having baths for possibly the first time in their lives.

Though the rescue was a daunting task there is much more work ahead of us to prepare these babies for adoption.  From what I have heard all these kidz are in need of dentals even the young one.  The older they are the more involved the dental will be.  I know that my two fosters Sophee (8- was Peanut) and Isabelle (7- was Bumpkin) both need major dentals.  Isabelle will need surgery to repair what I believe is an large umbilical hernia.  There was one little guy that is in need of leg surgery due to a deformity.  After having Bazzle's leg surgery I know that this will be an expensive endeavor.

I know that these kidz will blossom with patience, time, good food and loving.  I truly hope that they will learn what it means to be a basset and that touching with love is a wonderful thing.

I have to say that Friday night the tears I had held in could be contained no longer.  All the emotions that I held in just overflowed.  Seeing a rescue of this magnitude of the TV is one thing but to experience it in person is quite another.

I will apologize that I have not been able to reprint the eaten Howliday Cards (thank you Bazzle)with all that is going on but as soon as everything settles down I will get printed and mailed. Though at this point I know they will say Happy New Year and the new foster girls will be on it as well.  I hope that everyone understands.

We Lub you all!
Karen and The Dog House Gang
http://www.ggbassetrescue.org