[Dailydrool] Hero's List Howliday Cards Thanks

Kenneth Miller klmiller at rev.net
Tue Dec 22 11:31:46 PST 2009

First, Bosley wants to send a ton of healing drool to all the hounds
and slaves in need, and he has more to spare!  I really can only rush
through the daily drool digest and never seem to have time to post.
But compared to the knowledge this group has, I feel useless to post.
So, I only post rarely, but believe me, every hound I read of that is
sick or gone to the bridge, I cry for you all as well. I know how it
feels from my first boy, Edsel (ATB 9-02).

Unfortunately, due to my work and time issues, I never can
participate in the howliday card exchange, I don't even get regular
cards sent out anymore.

But I truly want to thank all the hounds and slaves for the beautiful
cards sent to my mother whom I put on the heros list. To offer a
brief synopsis, my mother is 88 growing blind from macular
degeneration, and spent the last few months acting as caregiver for
my father, who passed away at 90 on 22 November. They had been
married for 63.5 years, known each other for 73 years. He was very
ill, and the last few weeks were really hard on all of us, but
particularly her. She is also crippled with rheumatoid arthritis, but
stuck with my father, and we kept him home, where he wanted to the
end. My mother is also the workday home to our Bosley during the
week. Bosley loves her dearly, and has her properly trained.

I felt that perhaps getting some beautiful basset cards might help
cheer her up, and they do so, even if it is only briefly. So many
beautiful hounds! She does laugh and smile as she opens the cards, so
thank you all so much. She cannot believe some of you have so many
hounds!  It does give her something to look forward to each day. She
is depressed and lonely, despite having Bosley there.

My mother has been a real trooper, and devoted caregiver, but still
takes care of Bosley during the week, that way he does not have to
stay by himself when we are at work. A few days before my father
passed away, Bosley went in the bedroom, and very gently raised
himself up and put his front paws on the bed, reached over to sniff
my father, barely reaching him. My father was not even aware he was
there. Bosley sniffed, then just as gently lowered himself back down.
Bos never tried to raise up there again. I think he knew, he was on
his way.

My father is at the bridge, and probably was greeted by our first
hound, Edsel, barking for him to take him for his usual walk. Nobody
else could walk with Ed, my father had infinite patience with him and
stood waiting while the boy sat resting frequently.

Again, many thanks to all of you who took the time and effort to send
her a card, it has brightened a pretty gloomy time in her house this
year as there is no christmas for us. It has brought some cheer in a
way that I simply could not. Special thanks to Amanda who puts all
this together as well.

Happy Howlidays and many thanks

Ken, Beth with Claudine (my mother) and Bosley (my calendar day is
Sept 2, 2010)
with Edsel (ATB 9-02)