[Dailydrool] Please Pray for Twinkle Toes Today

Robin Wherley robindw at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 17:39:27 PST 2009

We are flinging drool at Twinkle Toes.

We've been through the surgery twice with Marquis, my 13 year old lab, so we know how hard it is. The first time was about 5 years ago, for a disk he ruptured when he fell on his back. The surgery went well and he healed very quickly.

The second time was just a couple of months ago. Marquis had FIVE ruptured disks, and we have no idea how they happened. He still can't get himself to a standing position on his own and needs a lot of assistance with walking. Because of his age, the surgery was much tougher this time. He has since also developed (unrelated to the surgery) diabetes and blindness caused by cataracts, making the therapy extremely difficult. He's my baby, and it's extremely difficult seeing him go through this. :(

I highly recommend getting a sling to help move Twinkle Toes around. After a few days of using towels as slings, our backs were killing us. We bought a cheap sling at Petsmart and it was extremely uncomfortable for both the human and Marquis.

We got this one after Marquis' physical therapist let us try it:
http://www.k-9cart.com/Handheld-Slings/E-Z-Sling/garden_flypage.tpl.html

There's another company that makes a different style:
http://www.k9-carts.com/products.php

I read Twinkle Toes' blog - do you know how old she is? That seems to
make a HUGE difference in what to expect during the recovery process. I'm not telling you Marquis' story to discourage you or scare you. Marquis did FANTASTIC the first time, and I hope you and your pup share that successful outcome. :)

Good luck to both you and Twinkle Toes. Feel free to email me if you have any concerns or thoughts. :)

Robin

and Marquis (the lab), http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080960

and Roley (the mutt), http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080964

and Franklin (the basset), http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1080965