[Dailydrool] Merry Christmas everyone!

Ross Houndage mtnbassets at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 24 12:09:01 PST 2009

Lots of Christmas Cookie drool to all the houndies and slaves in need...

It's been a long couple of weeks, but we are all still here. It started Sunday before last - I was getting everyone ready for bed and realized I was one houndie short...they had been running in and out all evening so I hadn't paid that much attention until then. Dickens was missing. I called him outside, then looked around in the house again, then called, then got the flashlight. I saw tracks thru the snow where he had wiggled between the fence post and the house and took off around the front. I ran outside, the tracks came and danced around the garage, and went in and out of the woods. I tried to map them out - saw some up to the neighbors' then returning, down the driveway and back. Everything seemed to loop back to the house then I found one set that went in the woods and I didn't see where they came out. I called a friend, so she was on the phone with me in case I fell or had a problem and could call for help. In my pajamas and boots, in -1 degree cold, I went in - slipping and falling over branches and trees, impaling myself on branches, following the tracks. Until I got to a spot where there were figure 8's around trees and tracks that took off in 4 different directions...rather than get myself more lost I tried to get back out of the woods, following the wrong tracks and going the wrong direction at first. When I finally made it out, Dickens was running around the driveway, looking at me like I was crazy to go hiking this time of night and could we please go in now? He got lots of cookies and a warm blanket. I took one of those dividers from the wire crates and tied it to the drain pipe with a leash to block the gap.

I spent the rest of the week with my back in spasm from sliding through the woods and falling a few times.

I was on call last weekend and had rather long dull days, and got called in for late night cases each night. By Monday I was exhausted and still had a moderately sore back. Sigh. Bud went in Monday to have some cysts removed - one on his side that had been draining for a while. and one on his right rear foot that was starting change and get a funny growth on it. He was a trooper and had it done under local anesthesia. He came home mid afternoon and I'll take his sutures out in 10 days.

The good news is that Barney is doing very well. No vomiting and only occasional reflux since starting the new medicine. I've been making a mash for him with rice, ground beef, and some veggies in the crock pot cooked forever so it's really soft. He eats that well and keeps it down without any trouble. Looks like my boy has indeed made it to Christmas. We will take each day as it comes and count our blessings. I know the tumors are in his chest, but I'm trying not to think about it, at least for now.

So, we are all safe and warm and well this Christmas Eve, waiting for Santa. I'll make a Roast Beast for myself and the houndies tomorrow and we will sit here and eat Christmas cookies this evening. We hope all houndies are safe and warm as well, and send love and drool to the Rescue groups who help those who aren't.

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Peaches, Dickens
Ace & Kirby