[Dailydrool] Four years later (12/27 Calendar Girl)

Debbie Wynn Debbie.Wynn at comcast.net
Sat Dec 26 17:49:33 PST 2009

Four years ago Bluegrass Basset Rescue placed Rosie Lou with me. She is the
Daily Drool 12/27 Calendar Girl, and I'd like to share her story with those
who might not know about her. Rosie was saved from a puppy mill in Eastern
Kentucky. Local newspaper coverage of the rescue effort described bones of
decomposed dogs; dead dogs still smoking from being burned; feces two to
three inches deep in cages that were too small or had too many dogs in them;
underweight animals with sores, raw spots, worms, broken bones. Animal
shelter employees made comments like "horrible conditions", "the worst I've
ever seen". What went through the mind of Rosie's owner? How did he justify
his lack of care? I've tried to understand but I can't

I also don't understand what motivates rescuers to leave their homes at 5:30
AM and drive six hours to save 6 bassets they've never seen. Or to patiently
wash the animals time and time again before the water finally runs clean? To
treat mange, malnutrition, sore feet from walking on wire crate floors, and
other ailments too numerous to mention? And then to pay the expenses of a
behaviorist to evaluate the animals and then undertake to rehabilitate them.

What would motivate a foster parent to take a dog so wild that in humor they
name her "Lou" because she is such a lulu? To spend months teaching basic
commands, house-breaking, and socializing? To send her on to a new home with
encouragement for the adopter and an offer to help whenever and however it
is needed? And then make room in their hearts and home for the next
frightened animal?

Today I look at this little girl with wonder at the path she took, and the
people who helped her along the way. I'm sure anyone who has loved a rescued
dog can empathize when I say that words fail me. Some emotions are
inexpressible, and some actions are too wonderful for language to capture.
So please join me in being grateful for Rosie on her calendar day, and being
thankful for people who were willing to save a dog like her.