[Dailydrool] Renting and fences with bassets

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 27 15:09:18 PST 2009

We have rented houses in different places with bassets.  We did a lot of carpet shampooing in both places but no wood floors to patch.  We also did some wallpaper repair.  We were very lucky, I guess and we rented them quite a few years ago.  We ended up losing security deposit money but nothing more.

We have also lived without fences in those same places with bassets and I would not do it again.  It is so much nicer to give them their own space to run or just nose around in. It just isn't the same on a leash or a tie-out.  I know there are some wonderful basset homes without fences but I believe it is hard on the dogs.

Our Marley was an apartment girl who was walked three to four times a day. She was a very unhappy camper which may or may not have been due to the lack of freedom. The look on her face when we brought her home and put her in the back yard without a leash was priceless.  She just stood there and stared. Didn't know what to do. Then she went exploring and hasn't stopped since.  She has her little hill of mulch that she sits on so she can be queen of the hill. Shelby doesn't know how to walk on a leash and would be very upset if she always had to be tied to something. Shelbs always goes around the perimeterof the fence to make sure that all is as it should be. She does this on basset time no matter what the temperature or weather. I'm not sure Maggie or Ninja would care.  I'm not trying to sound snobbish but fences give a freedom that nothing else can.

We do not leave our girls out when we leave home.  I'm just afraid they would get out somehow or get too hot or too cold. We do have  a couple of dogloos for protection but they are never used.  Sherlock liked to go in them and watch the yard from inside. The girls stay in the house and lounge on their favorite sofa or bed and wait for their humans to return. The first two girls we had stayed outside when we were gone because they tended to pee on whateverfloor they were on at the time. They stayed in in really bad weather or extreme heat or cold.

Sorry this is so long.  Dissertation over.  As I type, there is a wrestling match going on between the youngsters.  Ninja is supervising.  With her eyes closed.

Snooters and drool--

Ninja, Marley, Maggie, Shelby, the wild invisible kitty boys and one very pesty BH pup